POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:58:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Dec 2003 16:42:17
Message: <3fe21f39@news.povray.org>
In article <3fe20f31@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>> Which does an extremely miserable job!  In fact, Qt is just one of the
>> worst GUI abstraction layers that exist (I am sure that is why it is so
>> popular!).
>>
> Your opinion. There are a lot of people who see that the opposite
> way.

Many people also like Windows, apparently ;-)

> And if you ever did GUI with Java, you will find Qt like heaven...

I wrote a tiny program in Java once, and it didn't even have a GUI.  Since
that day, programming in Java is something I will do voluntarily experience
again!

>> It does not abstract most of the GUI elements at all, it just
>> draws them on its own.
>>
> Correct. So what?

If the GUI look changes, Qt does not.  So you end up with a really ugly
application full of (for the user) odd redraw errors.  And it many cases the
Qt widgets don't behave exactly as their native counterparts, resulting in a
plain usability nightmare <sigh>

>> As is is non-existent
>> thread-safety - even if a native API used is fully thread-safe, Qt in
>> general is not thread-safe.
>>
> I cannot comment on that. But I recall that early versions of Ot were
> single threaded. And adding thread support to a single threaded design
> often runs into trouble when system near components are involved.

The problem is still there in the 3.x line of Qt.  And one major problem is
the signal implementation.  Another big problem is the self-made drawing
code for GUI elements.

>> And its OpenGL widget for Windows is full of
>> very obvious bugs (also this is only available with the expensive
>> commercial code license); even M$ sample code shows how to properly create
>> a correct Z-buffered contexts.
>>
> Hell, don't use Qt for OpenGL.

Hmm, I think you don't know how the Qt OpenGL widget works: It only allows
you to create OpenGL contexts (and a few other system specific things like
fonts).  The OpenGL drawing and such is all native, you simply make the
native OpenGL calls from inside a Qt OpenGL widget.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde